Saturday, June 4, 2011

S'mores Ice Cream

That's right...the ooey, gooey treat is now cold instead of hot!  A few days back, we were discussing ice cream flavours that I could make when I told a friend of mine that I'd attempt s'mores ice cream.  This particular recipe gets poured into the ice cream maker hot, which is different than other ice creams that I've made before that are usually a chilled base.  If you attempt to make this, you may want to double it because it doesn't make a ton and you'll likely want more.

S'mores Ice Cream - from Bonnie the Baker's Blog
  • 1/2 package marshmallows (I used 1/2 of a 250g package of mini marshmallows...my mixture seemed thin though, so you might want to use 1/2 of a package of large marshmallows)
  • 1 cup homogenized milk
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 bar Milk Chocolate (I used a large Jersey Milk)
  • 3 Honeymaid Graham crackers
The Ingredients
Place Marshmallows, cream and milk into a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mallows are melted, and the liquids blend nicely with the mallows. The texture will be thick and gooey (mine was not too much on the thick side, but again, I think it was the amount of marshmallows I used).  Remove from heat and let cool for only one minute, stirring occasionally to make sure the marshmallows do not cool too much, making the mixture sticky.  

Pour mixture into ice cream maker that has been frozen according to manufacturer’s instructions.  (The original recipe said to churn for 35 minutes, but  had mine in there for 45 and it was still soupy, but the ice cream maker bowl had thawed, so I decided to put the mixture in a bowl in the freezer as it was after 45 minutes.)

After 2 hours of freezing
While the ice cream is churning, cut chocolate into chunks.  I cut my small squares into 6 pieces each so that they weren't too huge in the ice cream. Break graham cracker pieces into larger pieces. After churning is completed, turn off ice cream maker, and fold in chocolate pieces and then graham cracker pieces.  Be gentle when folding in the graham cracker pieces, or they will break. *
*I ended up freezing my ice cream for 2 hours and then folded in my graham crackers and chocolate pieces after stirring it as it was way too thin when I took it out of the ice cream maker, everything would have sank to the bottom.

Freeze for another few hours and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment